Thursday, August 1, 2013

I cook. I do not craft.

As I type these words my mother is probably embroidering handkerchiefs and professing her love of "handwork."  Alas, I am not my mother.

Crafting requires patience and manual dexterity, virtues i possess in very small measure.  Sure I've re-upholstered chairs and watercolored invitations, with varying degrees of success, but I am mostly a fan of insta-projects.  As in 1, 2, 3 done with minimal time or effort invested.  My latest fast craft:  Chalkboard Jars!



My Crate & Barrel chalkboard canisters were the first things I purchased for my new kitchen.  I love anything that injects character and storage into a space.

It occurred to me the other day that while i had a place to stow my sugar, flour, coffee and rice there was one neglected staple in my cabinet, popcorn.  You see at my house dinner often looks like this:


All you need is a lidded glass jar, chalkboard paint, tape, scissors and a medium bristle brush.



Tape off the area you intend to paint.  Cover with a smooth coat of chalkboard paint.  Allow the paint to dry for one hour and apply another coat.  Let dry over night.  Oila.  Storage with a handy writing surface!


xx
dani

No comments:

Post a Comment