Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Frosting Rugelach

Do not be misled by my title.  You don't frost Rugelach, you egg wash it.  A flaky Jewish strudel composed of yummy fillings and a cream cheese dough, Rugelach is my favorite pastry!  You see a girl simply cannot be born and raised in Brooklyn without acquiring a measure of affection for Jewish food.  Potato latkes, lox and bagels, matzo; your average Brooklyn girl loves it all.

The other day I found myself craving Rugelach and reluctant to pay $10.00/lb for it at my local bakery.  I had no cream cheese in my fridge and Rugelach requires either cream cheese or sour cream.  I was dismayed until inspiration struck.

I think most bakers eventually come down with cupcake fatigue.  The dainty delectables are such a fixture at parties and showers, the average baker frosts thousands in a lifetime.

Last week I went to a friends annual pig roast and brought what else, cupcakes. After the first dozen I found I'd tired of forming frosting spirals atop the petite treats.  So I wound up with a bowl of surplus frosting in my fridge.

Normally excess frosting just goes to waste. However the ingredients in frosting are the same components that make Rugelach so irresistible;  cream cheese, sugar and vanilla. Combining 1 1/2 cups of frosting with 2 cups all-purpose flour I kneaded the mixture into a smooth dough. I rolled the dough on a floured surface and topped it with crushed pecans & melted chocolate.

Traditional rugelach is cut into triangles.  I used strips which I then rolled up into the crescent shaped delights i was craving.

No comments:

Post a Comment